If you want to just look at post, you do NOT need an account.
But, if you want to post comments you need to open an account. Please:
Click Here to apply for an account.

Countryman Kill Creek & Falls

Kaaterskill Falls, North/South Lake, North Point, North Mtn, Palenville Overlook, Rip's House, South Mtn, Stoppel Point
mike

Countryman Kill Creek & Falls

Unread post by mike »

Today my objective was to hike up the Countryman Kill Creek and look for waterfalls. I would start at the state/private line up the old Cairo Carriage Road that goes up to Dutcher's Notch from Stork Nest Road. Then I would come back and hike down below that point on State land for more waterfalls. I was pretty sure there was some waterfalls in the lower section, so I saved them for last. Before the day was over, I had found some spectacular places I had never expected. The places I thought would be good, weren't good. The places I didn't expect anything turned out to be spectacular. This was one of the best hikes I have done in a long time.

I got a late start, and got started around 10:30 am at the end of Stork Nest Road. I hiked up to where State land starts. About 3/4 mile from the packing area. From here I hiked down the ravine to Countryman Kill Creek. When I arrived at the Countryman Kill creek, I discovered that the walls of the ravine were steep and high. I found an easy place to get down into the creek. I then crossed the creek to the other side. I stayed on the southeast side of the creek the entire day.

When I crossed the Countryman Kill Creek, I discovered a nice logging trail that ran parallel to the creek almost all the way up the ravine. It was in conifer forest most of the way. The conifer forest were great. I really enjoyed the conifer forest walk. The trail was not destroyed by all the logging. The trails were in remarkably good shape. Unfortunately, the creek didn't produce any waterfalls. Mainly because the rocks were round and there were not any ledges. So...no waterfalls. I hiked all the way up the Countryman Kill Creek. When I got closer to the Eastern Escarpment the inclined increased from a docile easy hike to a steep incline that was difficult. I then hiked up to the ridge line that runs up to Stoppel Point.

When I arrived at the top of the ridge line I checked the map. Stoppel Point was about another 400 feet. I decided I didn't want to hike up to Stoppel Point. I had other objectives for the day. Furthermore, I was just at Stoppel Point the previous week. So close, but so far away. The trail up to Stoppel Point also looked steep.

I then headed down the Winter Clove Trail. It was marked with blue markers. I almost immediately entered into a gorgeous conifer forest. It had large Hemlock trees with a nice clear forest floor. After looking at my map, I thought that there would be two good view point. I would later discover that there were two view points. The conifer forest was intoxicating in beauty.

Part way down I left the trail to get a view over the Winter Clove. It was beautiful! I stopped and took some pictures and left. I then hiked down further. Unfortunately, I was distracted by the beauty of the forest that I walked off the trail into some thick Mountain Laurel. Yuck! But, I was able to find my way back to the trail. Over time I left the beautiful conifer forest and entered into a nice deciduous forest. I continued to the follow the Winter Clove Trail. Around 2 pm I stopped to drink some water and eat a little. I then hiked down further. The trail below the conifer forest stuck to the southeast side of the ridge. Sometimes dropping off the ridge some. But, it also helped avoid the dreaded Mountain Laurel.

After a while I found Lookout #2 of Winter Clove. It had an even better view over the Winter Clove. I stopped and took a picture. I then headed further down the trail. After a while the trail turned east instead of north, so I had to leave the trail. Otherwise I would end up at the Winter Clove Resort. I then bushwhacked around the north side of the ridge. There was a loosely defined herd path down the ridge. I then entered into a conifer forest.

When I got to the Countryman Kill Creek I headed down the creek to the lower section. I immediately found the old road I had followed up the creek. It was nicely maintained. It wasn't long before I found my first waterfalls. It was beautiful! Gorgeous forest along withe beautiful waterfalls. This region might be one of the most beautiful regions of the Catskills. A hidden secret. Before I was done, I had found 5 new waterfalls. All of them were beautiful. There was a wide road with an idyllic stone walls that went down the ridge of the waterfalls. It was picture perfect. Some of the waterfalls were very easy to get to. Others were very difficult. You can see all of them from the road above the ridge.

By the time I got done photographing the 5th waterfall it was around 4:30 pm, and it was getting quite dark. I then had to hurry back up the trail to get across the creek on State land before I couldn't see. It was a rush. I got back to my car just after 5 pm. It was a spectacular day of hike with many new discoveries that I will cherish for quite some time.

Here are some pictures:

Map of the hike

Beginning of the conifer trail on the lower section of the Countryman Kill Creek

The closest thing to a waterfall on the upper section - A temporary rock waterfall

A knotty tree along the way

The trail after the conifer forest

The Winter Clove Trail below Stoppel Point

Another beautiful view along the way

Probably the largest Bracket Fungus I have ever seen

The conifer forest high up near Stoppel Point - Mainly Hemlock and Balsam Fir on the edges

View over the Winter Clove from Lookout #2

View of the Mountain Laurel when I fell off the trail

The Winter Clove Trail down lower

View of Winter Clove from Lookout #1

Panoramic view of the Winter Clove from Lookout #1

Odd growth on this tree

Waterfall #1 on the Countryman Kill Creek

Trail along the creek

Waterfall #2 on the Countryman Kill Creek

Waterfall #2 on the Countryman Kill Creek

Waterfall #3 on the Countryman Kill Creek

Waterfall #4 on the Countryman Kill Creek

Waterfall #5 on the Countryman Kill Creek
Jon

Re: Countryman Kill Creek & Falls

Unread post by Jon »

looks like a successful waterfall hunt!. Some of those look huge.
is that view the escarpment trail from the side?
Peakbagr

Unread post by Peakbagr »

Mike, quite the trip and super photos. Would love to join you there some time.

Alan
mike

Unread post by mike »

When I got done, I wanted to do it all over again. I am inching to do it again very soon. Next time I would change the route a little. Next weekend?

By-the-way, I feel a little guilty about not inviting Heather. The Bracket Fungus was huge! It wouldn't fit into her backpack. We should post it on her page.

Jon: Yes, the view from the Lookouts is from North Point -> North Mtn -> Stoppel Point. Just beautiful! I think the waterfall in the distance is very large. Maybe 400-500' high. More of a cascade then a plunge waterfall.
mtnclimber

Unread post by mtnclimber »

When I hike up to Dutcher's Notch, I can hear lots of water. Is this from the waterfalls down there? You really got some great pics. Sounds like a nice hike.
Nasrettin Hoca

Unread post by Nasrettin Hoca »

Nice Pix!!!

So there's little or no snow, at least below 3,000'? I guess those waterfalls were it. Yup. Sure nice last weekend. If the flags hadn't been up, I was thinking seakayaking.

Looks great. I'm thinking of a day trip up there during King weekend. Not too strenuous this time, I'm training for a Half Marathon 21st.
mike

Unread post by mike »

Mtnclimber: Yes, when you first start walking up the trail, you can hear the Countryman Kill Creek. You might be able to hear the falls a little. But, it is still about 1/4 mile from the trail.

Nasrettin: Basically NO snow below 3,000'. Temperatures this weekend were great. You didn't get too hot or cold. A little windy, but not bad. I was a little too tired to photoshop them better. But, it was a wonderful hike.
Nasrettin Hoca

Unread post by Nasrettin Hoca »

When I had my New Hampshire place, my neighbor used to hunt my woods for "Hen of the Woods". Looked kinda like that bracket fungus. That's edible?

From wiki....
Bracket fungi, or shelf fungi, among many groups of the fungi in the phylum Basidiomycota. Characteristically, they produce shelf- or bracket-shaped fruiting bodies called conks that lie in a close planar grouping of separate or interconnected horizontal rows. Brackets can range from only a single row of a few caps, to dozens of rows of caps that can weigh several hundred pounds. They are mainly found on trees (living and dead) and coarse woody debris, and may resemble mushrooms. Some form annual fruiting bodies while others are perennial and grow larger year after year. Bracket fungi are typically tough and sturdy and produce their spores, called basidiospores, within the pores that typically make up the undersurface.
But everybody told me, you'd better know what you're doing to eat it.